Keep your home safe while on vacation by being proactive
South West Plumbing urges residents to take precautions before taking an extended leave
SEATTLE — June 10, 2021 — South West Plumbing, Seattle’s leading provider of plumbing services, wants families to keep the safety of their homes a top priority when preparing for vacations this summer.
“Vacations are a time to relax with family and friends away from the distractions of everyday life,” said Darrell Paul, general manager of South West Plumbing. “To help you keep your mind at ease, make sure your home is prepared for your extended time away.”
Paul and the South West Plumbing team offer five tips to get homes ready for a vacation this summer:
- Shut off water supply: Turning the water supply off helps prevent potential flooding from a leaky pipe while homeowners are away.
- Set water heater to vacation mode: Water heaters can consume a significant amount of energy. Before leaving the home, set it to vacation mode. This will decrease the chance of a flood and lower the utility bill.
- Inspect the sump pump: Have the sump pump inspected a week or two prior to leaving for vacation. Sump pumps are a homeowner’s main defense against basement flooding. It is important to make sure it is operating properly.
- Clean the garbage disposal: If food or other particles are left inside the garbage disposal, homeowners may return to a smelly situation. Make sure the disposal is clean by using baking soda and vinegar for a thorough cleansing.
- Look for signs of a leak: Proactively checking for leaks will help ensure there are no water puddles or a high bill waiting for homeowners when they come back from vacation.
“It’s the small things that can help prevent a disaster while you are on vacation,” Paul said. “Simply turning the water supply off and setting your water heater to vacation mode will make your life easier when you return home.”
About South West Plumbing
South West Plumbing was started over 35 years ago by Bill and Connie Buckingham out of their home with just one truck. All South West Plumbing plumbers and technicians are certified and come prepared with fully-stocked trucks that have everything they need to do the job right. We have friendly, professional, and uniformed technicians that are trained on an ongoing basis to ensure that they can perform your plumbing service with both precision and accuracy. We are the plumbing service company YOU can count on. For more information, visit https://www.southwestplumbing.biz/.